What is Re Roofing
Your Complete Re-Roofing Guide
One of the most important aspects of protecting your home from the harsh Australia elements is a solid roofing system. In Australia, we offer a process known as Re-Roofing for homeowners and commercial properties. Unlike traditional maintenance of roof repair and restoration, re-roofing is the installation of a brand new roof either on top of the current one or by tearing down the old structure and performing a complete replacement. Most projects involve stripping down a large part or all of the structure and then replacing it with either metal or tiles. The following article will outline the benefits and materials used for re-roofing in Australia.
Why choose Re Roofing?
With Australia’s harsher elements, strong winds, cyclones, thunderstorms, and changes in the climate, your roof is the first defense against this. When a roof is not properly structured or needs repairs and maintenance the single greatest improvement can be re roofing which can improve your home’s performance, energy efficiency and appearance. Be sure to always use a trusted and licensed roofing contractor, you can visit our Brisbane re-roofing section to learn more about the process we use.
There are a number of reasons why re roofing is the best measure to go, those are as follows
- Roof leakage could damage underneath structure and even the inside of the home
- It will provide a chance to replace broken or cracked tiles and re-pointing
- Re roofing eliminates trying to match old tiles or shingles with new ones
- It is a perfect time to improve the insulation and ventilation of your roof space
- it makes for a great time to update the look of your home as part of a home makeover
- When trying to sell your home, re-roofing will add value to it
Choosing the right Re-Roofing Material
When it comes to choosing the right material to use on your roof makeover you have two options the Terracotta or the Concrete. Each re roofing material has its own benefits that each homeowner should take under consideration.
Metal is one of the most popular options for roofing materials. There are many varieties of metal available to suit each need. Steel coated in aluminum or a mixture of aluminum and zinc is a very good option as is aluminum sheeting. Colorbond Australia manufacturers Lysaght and Colorbond which are both great choices, you can learn moire from their website here.
Benefits of Metal Roofing
- Metal Roofing is very durable and can last for decades. It is very resistant to weather and impacts from falling objects.
- They are more cost effective than tile roofing and basic steel sheeting is one of the cheapest roofing options.
- Aluminum roofing comes in many colors and textures which means that it can be used to fit any color scheme.
- Installation is a lot simpler than with tiling which brings the labor costs down.
- You can also get colorbond sheeting which comes in three options- a basic corrugated steel sheet option that is the cheapest, powder coated steel that is more resistant to moisture and the weather and a premium option that can last for decades.
Terracotta tiles are a natural clay product that has been used throughout history as a roofing material. The tiles are each glazed and fired in a kiln at a temperature of over 1,000 Celsius. Terracotta roof tiles offer an exceptional character and strength with high color retention and negligible maintenance requirements. In Australia Boral is one of the leading suppliers of terracotta tiles, for more information you can visit their website.
Benefits of Terracotta Roof Tiles
- They come with a long lasting 50 year warranty. Terracotta tiles are manufactures not only to last, but to make a beautiful and hardwearing roof for your home.
- The tiles are salt safe and frost resistant making them suitable for any location.
- Terracotta tiles offers a thermal performance which refers to have it will affect the temperature within the home and how much energy is used within the home to maintain a comfortable level.
- These tiles also come with an acoustic performance meaning their density will help to reduce external sound from traffic, aircrafts, trains, and more.
- Once your re-roofing company properly installs the tiles they have a negligible maintenance requirements.
- Terracotta tiles are also non-combustible and can be safely used in bushfire-prone areas.
Concrete roof tiles are manufactured from durable concrete that over time strengthens. This is one of the most popular for of roofing materials found in the Australian area.
Benefits of Concrete Roof Tiles
- Concrete roof tiles have a 20 year long lasting warranty against defects
- The tiles come in a multitude of colors with graded sands and pigments formed into the tiles to create a distinctive tile design
- They are suitable for coastal living with their salt safe feature
- Concrete tiles offer a thermal performance where the roof will affect the temperature inside the home and how much energy must be used to heat or cool the home
- As the tiles are more dense they will help to reduce the sounds from outside. So if a aircraft, trains, or traffic is nearby you will not hear it coming in from the roof
- There is little maintenance once the tiles are installed properly
- Non-combustible and safe to use in bushfire prone areas
10 Steps in the Re-Roofing Process:
- Safety is the number one priority with re-roofing. Before anything can start safety rails must be installed around the perimeter of the roof to prevent workers from falling and keeping your family safe.
- All the old tiles and ridge need to be removed first
- Inspect the roof timbers and make sure all battens are in good condition
- Install the sarking which provides insulation and will help reflect up to 95% of radiant heat.
- It is time for new battens to be installed and ready for the new roof tiles
- At this step, you remove the old tiles and start sending up the new roof tiles to be laid out.
- It’s time to start laying the new tiles. You will lay them sequentially up the roof from the gutter line and fixing clips or nails will be used to secure them in place.
- Next, you will install the ridge which are bedded into place using mortar.
- Now is time for pointing. Pointing is a flexible material that will cover the mortal and will be the same color as the tiles.
- You are done! Remove the guard rail. Now it is just time to clean up any mess left behind.
Re-roofing your home is a great investment and the perfect way to improve the thermal efficiency of the house. Additionally a new roof can add substantial extra value to your property so the initial investment is definitely worth while. We hope this article serves as a source of information to help you decide on materials and options on your re-roofing project.
For questions or advice contact us using the details below:
Pro Roofing Brisbane
Phone: 07 3102 3883